Sunday 9 February 2014

Marathon Problems . . . 10 weeks to London 2014

For anyone who is training for a marathon, the worst thing that can possibly happen to you is to pick up an injury on the build up to the big race.  Well unfortunately I seem to be pretty good at this as over the past two weeks I have had a problem with my IT band in my left knee which has prevented me from clocking up the miles.  So in an effort to eradicate the problem, I took a two week rest on the instructions of my physio, and this morning was my big comeback run.  1.85miles into the run, all was fine,  then slowly but surely the niggle in my left knee started to become more apparent. I have learnt from previous mistakes that when the pain re occurs its best to just stop the run and get back to base in one piece as you will only do more damage by trying to soldier on.

Anyway, with the London marathon in just over 10 weeks, this is not ideal preparation.  My experience tells me that I will be off the road for another 2 weeks, and hopefully then that will be the problem sorted.  All I can do in the interim is continue with my strength and conditioning work in the gym  - pretty depressing stuff.

This will be my fourth marathon in four years and I am really looking forward to London as it is regarded as one of the top three in the world.  I am just hoping that I can get my body there in one piece so I can put in a decent race and collect another medal.

I will keep you posted with developments

#LifeChanges #London2014 #BeatingMS

No comments:

Post a Comment